+44 20 3384 3075
Legal updates, always a step ahead.

Subscribe to our newsSubscribe to our news

Why Choose Migra & Co?

  • Leading Immigration Firm
  • Very High Success Rate
  • Tailor Made Solutions
  • In-house Legal Experts

Do You Qualify?

This is a captcha-picture. It is used to prevent mass-access by robots. (see: www.captcha.net)

When is there a need to transfer your visa?

11 April 2016

Where an applicant is no longer able to enter the UK within the 30-day period granted for an entry clearance or where a visa is attached on a passport and that passport is expired or lost, the passport holder might need to transfer the visa.

If an applicant is no longer able to enter the UK within 30 days

As of 31 July 2015, all applicants granted for entry clearance for more than 6 months will be given a 30-day vignette to enter the UK. If an application can no longer enter the UK within this period, he needs to apply for a replacement. He does not need to apply for a new application.

However, if the passport is lost or stolen before travelling to the UK, the applicant will need to apply for a new passport before applying for replacement. A police report may also be required.

If the passport with visa vignette is expired

Any visa (or leave) endorsed in an expired passport remains valid until the expiry date of that visa. The applicant must present the visa on his expired passport and the new passport when seeking entry to the UK. However, an applicant may choose to transfer the visa vignette on his expired passport if he thinks it is necessary to do so.

When applying for transfer under this category, the visa vignette in the expired passport must be presented, unless it can be demonstrated that the expired passport has been retained by the issuing authority.

Once the visa (or leave) is transferred, the old one will be cancelled without prejudice.

If the passport with visa vignette is lost or stolen

If the applicant loses or has his passport with the visa vignette stolen, he needs to apply for a replacement visa (or leave). A police report or other evidence that satisfactorily establishes that the passport is no longer in possession will be required. The applicant may also be asked for supporting documentation to establish that his circumstances have not changed.

If you are in any of the above situations and wish to transfer or replace your current visa, please contact us at info@migraco.com or 0203 384 3075.


Migra & Co is a private immigration company, regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC), reference number F200900038. This website is not a government website and as such, we are not linked or affiliated with the UK Visas and Immigration. We offer expert legal advice and flexible tailored solutions to both private and corporate clients to ensure that their immigration needs are met. If you wish to download or prepare a UK visa application form, you can do so free of charge by visiting the Official UKVI website.