28 May How can you apply as a dependant of a PBS migrant?
The family member of a Tier 1, 2, 4, or 5 migrant is able to apply for leave to enter or remain under the Points Based System (PBS) as a PBS dependant in line with the main applicant.
Who can qualify as a dependant partner or a dependant child of the main applicant?
The migrant who wishes to make a PBS dependant application as a partner, must be the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of the main applicant. As a dependant child, the main applicant must be the parent of the child, and the latter must be under the age of 18 at the date on which the application is made.
For the family member of a Tier 2 migrant, the dependant must have £630 cash savings to support his/herself in the UK. Please note that the savings must have been held for at least 3 months prior to the date of application.
However, the Tier 2 A-rated sponsor can provide a letter to confirm that they will maintain and accommodate the family member of the main applicant. The Tier 2 A-rated sponsor is able to endorse the certification on the Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), or by providing the certification in a letter from the sponsor which includes:
- The applicant’s name;
- The sponsor’s name and logo;
- Confirmation that the sponsor has certified the maintenance.
Please note that dependants of Tier 1 (Investors) do not need to satisfy the maintenance requirement.
Criminal record certificate
The following applicants are required to provide a criminal record certificate:
- Tier 1 (Investor) Migrant,
- Tier 2 (General) entry clearance applicants coming to work in the education, health and social care sectors; and
- The adult partner (spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner) of a PBS migrant in the categories above, where that partner is applying for entry clearance as a PBS dependant either with the main application or to join them subsequently.
Contact Our Immigration Team
For expert advice regarding any aspect of PBS dependant application, please contact our immigration team on 0203 384 3075 or contact us here.