21 Feb Are you able to apply for a UK Ancestry visa?
Under paragraph 186 of the Immigration Rules, the applicant who is seeking leave to enter on the grounds of his/her UK ancestry has to meet the following requirements:
- Be a Commonwealth citizen;
- Must be aged 17 or over;
- Able to provide proof that one of his/her grandparents was born in the UK and any such grandparent is the applicant’s blood grandparent or grandparent by reason of an adoption recognised by the laws of the United Kingdom relating to adoption;
- Able to work and intends to take or seek employment in the United Kingdom;
- Maintain and accommodate and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds;
- Must hold a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.
How long can you stay in the UK under an Ancestry visa category?
A UK Ancestry visa is normally granted for a 5 years period, and it also allows to sponsor family members. The applicant can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain under this scheme. Please note that there must be no recourse to public funds during the period that you stay in the UK.
Contact Our Immigration Team
For expert advice regarding any aspect of the UK Ancestry visa, please contact our immigration team on 0203 384 3075 or contact us here.