British National Overseas (BNO) visa update

If you are a British national (overseas), you can stay in the UK as a visitor for up to 6 months without applying for a Standard Visitor visa. However, you do not have the right to reside, work, or study in the UK for a long-term period. If you wish to stay in the UK for more than 6 months, or to work or study, you might need to apply for a British National Overseas (BNO) visa.

If the migrant is not eligible to enter the UK under an existing immigration scheme, he/she might be able to apply for a ‘Leave Outside the Rules’ at the UK border for a period of up to 6 months. They can then apply for a BNO visa in country prior to their leave expires. This also applies to their accompanying dependants.

Individuals can apply for the ‘Leave Outside the Rules’ until 21 June 2021.

Please note that applicants will need to show their identity, their British national (overseas) status, to show that they normally live in Hong Kong or the UK, and they can accommodate and support themselves in the UK. If they have any non-BNO dependants, they will need to provide the evidence of their relationship, for example:

  • Spouse or civil partner – a marriage or civil partner certificate;
  • Unmarried partner – migrants will need to show that they and their partner have been living together in a relationship similar to a marriage or civil partnership for at least 2 years;
  • Child (under 18 years old when they first applied), adult child born on/after 1 July 1997 (and their partner or child under the age of 18) who normally lives with the main applicant – a full birth certificate, an adoption certificate, a court order (such as a special guardianship order);
  • Other family members who normally live with the main applicant and have a high level of dependency on them, for instance, their parent or grandparent, brother or sister, son or daughter.

Individuals will also need to provide evidence that they can accommodate and support themselves and their dependants financially for at least 6 months, for example:

  • Bank statements that show savings;
  • Evidence of regular income that will continue whilst in the UK, such as salary, investment or pension payments;
  • Investment details;
  • Receipt of educational grants from overseas;
  • An offer of employment in the UK;
  • Income of their partner, spouse or other family member, such as parental funding or their spouse’s salary earned by working in the UK;
  • An offer of accommodation from family or friends.

Contact Our Immigration Team

 For expert advice regarding any aspect of the BNO visa application, please contact our immigration team on 0203 384 3075.







The content of this article is for general use and information only. Since each case should be prepared on its own merit and in light of the constant amendments to the Immigration Rules, it is important to note that the information provided must not be relied upon unless Migra & Co has either given written consent or has been officially engaged in relation to a specific immigration matter. As a result, Migra & Co will take no responsibility for any damage, cost or loss resulting from relying on the information contained in this article, blog and website.

We remain open for business and can arrange meetings by phone call or video conferencing to advise and assist with any UK immigration matters.
Click here for further information regarding COVID-19