Do you need to register with the police in the UK?

Migrants from certain countries over the age of 16 might be required to register with the police within 7 days of their arrival in the UK if they applied for an entry clearance or from the date when they receive their biometric residence permit in the UK.

Do you need to register with the police?

Applicants will be told if they needed to register with the police with one of the following documents:

  • Your visa vignette (sticker in your passport) if you applied outside the UK. You must register if it had ‘Police registration’ or ‘Register with police in 7 days of entry’ on it;
  • The Home Office letter that approved your application for limited leave to remain in the UK if you applied inside the UK.


How to register?

Migrants need to take their documents and information to the local police station if residing outside London. A fee of £34 will be charged for registration and it will be paid at the police station.

Applicants need to take:

  • 2 recent passport size colour photographs
  • your passport
  • your visa ‘vignette’ (sticker in your passport) if you applied outside the UK
  • the letter you got from the Home Office when your application was approved if you applied inside the UK
  • your biometric residence permit (if you have one)


The police station will record:

  • your full name, gender, date and country of birth, nationality, passport details
  • if you’re married or have a partner
  • any past nationalities and dates when your nationality changed
  • your address in the UK
  • the address of the last place you lived outside the UK
  • the date and place you arrived in the UK, and how
  • what you can and cannot do with your visa, including how long you can stay
  • your education provider’s name and address if you’re a student
  • your employer’s name and address if you’re working
  • your business details and address if you’re self-employed


Where to register?

Registration must be with the local police. Any change of address must be reported to the police. If you change any personal details shown on your biometric residence permit, you must apply for a new permit within three months using application form BRP (RC).

If you lived in the Metropolitan Police District of London, registration must be at the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) with the following address:

323 Borough High Street

London SE1 1JL

Notifying changes

If you have registered and your details later change, you must report these changes to the police as following:

  • For those who living in the London Metropolitan Police District(LMPD), changes to your name, nationality, passport or marital status must be reported to OVRO;
  • Changes of address, including place of work or place of study, business, profession or occupation should be reported to your local police station in the greater London area;
  • For all other registrants (those living outside the LMPD) any changes should be reported to your local police station;
  • If you need to replace a certificate that is damaged, lost or stolen, you must inform the police. You will be charged the registration fee for a replacement.


Contact Our Immigration Team

For expert advice regarding any aspect of the UK visa application, please contact our immigration team on 0203 384 3075 or contact us here.



The content of this article is for general use and information only. Since each case should be prepared on its own merit and in light of the constant amendments to the Immigration Rules, it is important to note that the information provided must not be relied upon unless Migra & Co has either given written consent or has been officially engaged in relation to a specific immigration matter. As a result, Migra & Co will take no responsibility for any damage, cost or loss resulting from relying on the information contained in this article, blog and website.

We remain open for business and can arrange meetings by phone call or video conferencing to advise and assist with any UK immigration matters.
Click here for further information regarding COVID-19