How to apply for a domestic worker visa?

Currently, non-EU migrants who are working as domestic helpers for instance as cleaners, chauffeurs, cooks, nannies and cares can apply for a Domestic Workers in a Private Household to visit the UK. From 1 January 2021, this scheme will also be open to EU nationals who wish to visit the UK as domestic workers.

Please note that the fees for a domestic worker visa are £516. Applicants can apply for the visa up to 3 months prior to the date of arrival in the UK.  Applicants under this particular category can stay in the UK and work for their employer for up to 6 months, but there are also some stringent conditions attached to this visa.

What are the requirements for the domestic worker visa application?

Individuals can apply for a domestic worker visa to visit the UK if they:

  • Are 18 or older
  • Have worked for their employer for at least one year;
  • Work in the same household as their employer or one they use regularly;
  • Plan to travel to the UK with their employer and/or the employer’s partner or children;
  • Intend to work as a full-time domestic worker in a UK household their employer will live in;
  • Are able to support themselves in the UK without recourse to public fund
  • Please note that the employer must also pay the worker at least the national minimum wage whilst in the UK.

The employer must be either a:

  • A British or European Economic Area (EEA) national who usually lives outside the UK and who does not intend to relocate or remain in the UK for more than six months;
  • A foreign national coming to the UK on a visit and who does not intend to settle in the UK

Supporting documents for the domestic worker visa application

In order to apply for the domestic worker visa, individuals have to provide the following supporting documents:

  • Current passport;
  • Proof they can support themselves during their trip, for example, bank statements or payslips for the last 12 months;
  • Details of where they will be staying and their return travel booking information;
  • A letter from the employer confirming that the worker has worked for them in the same job for at least 1 year;
  • A completed and signed statement of their terms and conditions of the employment;
  • A statement from the employer confirming they will pay the worker at least the national minimum wage while the worker is working for them in the UK.

Please note that migrants must also provide one of the following documents covering the same period of employment:

  1. Pay slips or bank statements showing payment of salary;
  2. Confirmation of tax paid;
  3. Contract of employment;
  4. Work visa, residence permit or equivalent passport endorsement for the country where they are currently employed by the employer;

This route now does not lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), and it can only be extended if their current visa is granted for less than 6 months, but the applicant can enter the UK multiple times.

Contact Our Immigration Team

For expert advice regarding any aspect of the domestic worker visa application, please contact our team on 0203 384 3075.

The content of this article is for general use and information only. Since each case should be prepared on its own merit and in light of the constant amendments to the Immigration Rules, it is important to note that the information provided must not be relied upon unless Migra & Co has either given written consent or has been officially engaged in relation to a specific immigration matter. As a result, Migra & Co will take no responsibility for any damage, cost or loss resulting from relying on the information contained in this article, blog and website.

We remain open for business and can arrange meetings by phone call or video conferencing to advise and assist with any UK immigration matters.
Click here for further information regarding COVID-19