How can PBS migrants bring children to the UK?

Under paragraph 319F of the Immigration Rules, the Points-Based System (PBS) migrants are able to bring their children as dependants to the UK.

What is the points-based system?

The Points-Based System (PBS) follows migrants from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) to come to the UK in order to work, study and invest etc. The main visa categories of PBS including Tier 1 (Investor), Tier 2 (General), Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer), Tier 4 (General) Student as well as Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) etc.

How can you bring your children to the UK if you are a PBS migrant?

Children of PBS migrants are able to apply for a PBS (dependant) visa. Under paragraph 319H of the Immigration Rules, to be considered as a child family member of a PBS applicant, the child must be under 18 years old on the date of the application.

In addition, the child must not be married or in a civil partnership, must not have formed an independent family unit as well as not be leading an independent life.

What are the supporting documents for a PBS (dependant) visa application?

Under paragraph 319H-SD of the Immigration Rules, children who are over the age of 16 on the date the application is made must provide the following specified documents and information:

  • The applicant must provide two items confirming his/her residential address, for instance, bank statements, credit card bills, driving licence, NHS Registration document, letter from his/her current school, college or university, on official headed paper and bearing the official stamp of the organisation, and issued by an authorised official of the organisation;
  • The documents submitted must be from two separate sources and dated no more than one calendar month before the date of the application;
  • If the applicant pays rent or board, he/she must provide details of how much this amounts to each calendar month.


Please note that if the applicant is residing separately from the PBS migrant, he/she must provide:

  • Reasons for residing away from the family home. Where this is due to academic endeavours he/she must provide confirmation from the university or college confirming the enrolment and attendance on the specific course, on official headed paper and bearing the official stamp of that organisation, and issued by an authorised official of that organisation;
  • The evidence that he/she has been supported financially by his/her parents whilst residing away from the family home, for example, bank statements for the applicant covering the three months before the date of the application clearly showing the origin of the deposits, and bank statements for the applicant’s parent covering the three months before the date of the application also showing corroborating payments out of their account.


There are some other requirements for a PBS (dependant) visa application, if you wish to discuss more detailed information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Contact Our Immigration Team

For expert advice regarding any aspect of the PBS (dependant) visa application, please contact our immigration team on 0203 384 3075 or contact us here.

The content of this article is for general use and information only. Since each case should be prepared on its own merit and in light of the constant amendments to the Immigration Rules, it is important to note that the information provided must not be relied upon unless Migra & Co has either given written consent or has been officially engaged in relation to a specific immigration matter. As a result, Migra & Co will take no responsibility for any damage, cost or loss resulting from relying on the information contained in this article, blog and website.