New BNO Visa Scheme is now live!

On 31 January 2021, Home Office published a new guidance in relation to Hong Kong British National Overseas (BNO) visa scheme – please refer to the link below:

Who will be eligible to apply for a BNO visa?

In order to meet the eligibility requirements, the main applicant (who must be 18 years older) has to hold a BNO passport, and his/her permanent home should be either in Hong Kong (if they apply from overseas) or in the UK, Hong Kong or Crown Dependencies (if they were to apply from inside the UK).  Thus, applicants visiting the UK will not be allowed to apply as they will need to make an entry clearance application in HK.

In addition, individuals will also need to satisfy the adequate maintenance, accommodation and TB test requirements.

The application fees for 30 months’ permission is going to be £199.20 whilst £269.20 will be charged for 5 years’ permission. Migrants will also need to pay the relevant Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) currently set at £624 per year.

How can you apply for a BNO visa?

Individuals will be able to use the ‘UK Immigration: ID check’ app from 23 February 2021 to prove their identity and upload their supporting documents instead of going to a Visa Application Centre (VAC). Alternatively, migrants can submit their application online:

However, if you are applying from outside the UK, you might need to book an appointment to provide biometric information at a VAC.

Applicants will receive a decision within 12 weeks from the date of the biometric appointment.

What kind of supporting documents can you provide?

If you are applying from Hong Kong, you will need to provide the evidence of ordinary residence in Hong Kong, such as:

  • An official Hong Kong ID card;
  • A letter from an employer confirming their employment in Hong Kong;
  • A visa or residence permit or other immigration documents (a colour photocopy would be acceptable) showing residence in Hong Kong;
  • An educational record, for example a school report;
  • Tax records;
  • Records of rent or mortgage payments;
  • Payslips;
  • Household or utility bills.

If you are applying for permission to stay in the UK, you can submit the following documents as the evidence of ordinary residence in the UK:

  • A letter from an employer or education provider confirming their employment or study;
  • A dated bank statement showing payments received or spending;
  • A dated letter from a GP or other healthcare professional confirming the applicant’s attendance at appointments, or a card issued by the healthcare professional confirming those appointments;
  • A payslip or most recent P60;
  • A dated, UK or Islands-addressed domestic utility bill or council tax bill;
  • A letter from the local council or a government;
  • A voter’s card;
  • An educational record, for example a school report;
  • Other immigration documents;
  • Records of rent or mortgage payments;
  • Tax records.

Contact Our Immigration Team

For expert advice regarding any aspect of the BNO visa application, please contact our immigration team on 0203 384 3075.



The content of this article is for general use and information only. Since each case should be prepared on its own merit and in light of the constant amendments to the Immigration Rules, it is important to note that the information provided must not be relied upon unless Migra & Co has either given written consent or has been officially engaged in relation to a specific immigration matter. As a result, Migra & Co will take no responsibility for any damage, cost or loss resulting from relying on the information contained in this article, blog and website.

We remain open for business and can arrange meetings by phone call or video conferencing to advise and assist with any UK immigration matters.
Click here for further information regarding COVID-19