New graduate route has been launched

On 1 July 2021, the new Graduated route was launched. The Graduate route provides an opportunity for international students who have been awarded their degree in the UK to stay in order to gain work experience at any skill level for two years, or three years for doctoral students.

Please be advised that migrants do not need to obtain a job offer in order to be eligible. Applicants under this route can change jobs and develop their career without a sponsorship.  The new Graduate route does not lead to settlement, however, individuals will be able to switch to the Skilled Worker if they satisfy the requirements.

What are the requirements of the Graduate route?

Migrants will need to meet the following requirements:

  • You are in the UK;
  • Your current visa is a Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa;
  • You studied a UK bachelor’s degree, postgraduate degree or other eligible course for a minimum period of time with your Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa;
  • You have successfully completed that course.

How much it costs?

The UKVI application fees for the Graduate visa are £700. Individuals will also need to pay £624 healthcare surcharge for each year.

In order to apply for a Graduate visa, migrants will need to have successfully completed the course they undertook with their current Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa. The education provider for the course must be a licensed sponsor with a ‘track record of compliance’, and individuals must have one of the following to apply: a UK bachelor’s degree, a UK master’s degree, or a UK PhD/ doctorate degree.

Applicants for the new post-study work visa must have spent a minimum period of time studying in the UK.  Graduate Visa applicants who have completed a course lasting 12 months or less need to have studied the whole course in the UK.  If the course was more than 12 months, the applicant needs to have been granted permission for at least 12 months on the Student route and have spent that time studying in the UK. However, for those who could not study in the UK due to the COVID-19, the Home Office has also put in place  some concessions for students unable to travel to the UK. Applicants who began their studies in autumn 2020, or spring 2021 will need to be in the UK with permission as a Student, by 27 September 2021. Students beginning their course this autumn or early next year will need to be in the UK by 6 April 2022.

Migrants will need to provide the following document inter alia:

  • A valid passport or other travel document that shows your identity and nationality;
  • Your biometric residence permit (BRP), if you were given one when you applied for your Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa;
  • Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number from when you applied for your Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa;
  • A copy of the awarded degree;
  • Completed application form;
  • Police registration certificate, if applicable.
  • You can only apply whilst in the UK.

Contact Our Immigration Team

For expert advice regarding any aspect of the UK visa application, please contact our immigration team on 0203 384 3075.


The content of this article is for general use and information only. Since each case should be prepared on its own merit and in light of the constant amendments to the Immigration Rules, it is important to note that the information provided must not be relied upon unless Migra & Co has either given written consent or has been officially engaged in relation to a specific immigration matter. As a result, Migra & Co will take no responsibility for any damage, cost or loss resulting from relying on the information contained in this article, blog and website.

We remain open for business and can arrange meetings by phone call or video conferencing to advise and assist with any UK immigration matters.
Click here for further information regarding COVID-19