How can you apply for Pre-Settled status?

If you are a family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you might be able to apply for Pre-Settled status, for example, if you are in a relationship with an EU national as his/her spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner; you can also apply if you are related to an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen or his/her spouse or civil partner as their:

  • Child, grandchild or great-grandchild under 21 years old;
  • Dependent child over the age of 21;
  • Dependent parent, grandparent or great-grandparent;
  • Dependent relative.


What kind of evidence will you need to provide?

Applicants will need to provide proof of their relationship to their EU, EEA or Swiss citizen family member, for instance, a birth certificate, marriage or civil partnership certificate or a residence card. Migrants can scan and submit the supporting documents through the online application form.

If a migrant is a spouse or civil partner of an EU national, he/she will need to submit the relevant documents, such as a family permit, a residence card, a valid marriage or civil partnership certificate, a valid overseas registration document for a same-sex relationship.

If an applicant is an unmarried (durable) partner of an EU national, he/she will need to submit the relevant documents including a family permit, a residence card as well as evidence to show that his/hers durable partnership with the EU citizen continues to subsist, for example, evidence that they have lived together for at least the past 2 years:

  • Bank statements or utility bills in joint names at the same address;
  • Residential mortgage statement or tenancy agreement in joint names;
  • Official correspondence that links you at the same address;
  • Evidence of joint finances, business ventures or commitments for at least the past 2 years: tax returns, business contracts or investments;
  • Evidence of joint responsibility for a child: the child’s birth certificate which names both parents, a custody agreement showing that they are living together and sharing parental responsibility.


For more details in relation to the evidence of relationship to an EU citizen, for instance, you are their child, grandchild or great-grandchild; you are a dependent parent, grandparent or great-grandparent; or you are a dependent relative of an EU citizen, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Contact Our Immigration Team

For expert advice regarding any aspect of the Pre-settled status application, please contact our immigration team on 0203 384 3075.



The content of this article is for general use and information only. Since each case should be prepared on its own merit and in light of the constant amendments to the Immigration Rules, it is important to note that the information provided must not be relied upon unless Migra & Co has either given written consent or has been officially engaged in relation to a specific immigration matter. As a result, Migra & Co will take no responsibility for any damage, cost or loss resulting from relying on the information contained in this article, blog and website.

We remain open for business and can arrange meetings by phone call or video conferencing to advise and assist with any UK immigration matters.
Click here for further information regarding COVID-19