For EU Settlement Scheme: what is the process?

On 14 March 2019, the MPs voted on an amendment to reject the UK leaving the EU without a deal under any circumstances and this was passed by 312 to 308, a margin of 4.

EU Settlement Scheme

If you’re an EEA or Swiss national, you and your family will be able to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme to continue residing in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you will obtain either settled or pre-settled status. Please note that the EEA includes EU countries as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

You may be able to stay in the UK without applying – for example, if you’re an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain.

When you can apply?

The EU Settlement Scheme will open fully on 30 March 2019. You may be able to apply now if you meet the criteria without having to pay the application fees in the amount of £65. The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021.

Supporting documents for EU Settlement Scheme

When you apply, you will need proof of:

  • your identity
  • your residence in the UK, unless you have a valid permanent residence document, or valid indefinite leave to remain in or enter the UK


Evidence of your identity

You’ll need a valid passport or national identity card.

If you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you’ll be able to use any of the following:

  • valid passport;
  • biometric residence card;
  • biometric residence permit.


Proof of continuous residence

To be eligible for settled status, you’ll usually need to have lived in the UK for at least 6 months in any 12 month period for 5 years in a row. You’ll need to provide proof of this when you apply. Documents that cover period of time between 2 dates include:

  • annual bank statement or account summary, showing at least 6 months of payments received or spending in the UK;
  • employer letter confirming employment and evidence that the employer is genuine, for example, their Companies House number;
  • council tax bill;
  • letter or certificate from your school, college, university or other accredited;
  • invoice for fees from your school, college, university or other accredited educational or training organisation and evidence of payment;
  • document showing a UK address from a student finance body in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland or from the Student Loans Company;
  • residential mortgage statement or rental agreement and evidence of payment;
  • letter from a registered care home confirming your residence there;
  • employer pension contributions;
  • annual business account of a self-employed person;
  • a P60 for a 12-month period;
  • a P45 showing the length of your previous employment.


If you’ve not lived here for 5 years in a row you may still be eligible for pre-settled status.

You can give your National Insurance number to allow an automated check of your residence based on tax and certain benefit records. If this check is successful, you’ll not need to provide any documents as proof of residence.

Contact Our Immigration Team

For pragmatic advice regarding a prospective application as a European national or a family member of an EEA, please contact our immigration team of experts on 0203 384 3075 or contact us here.


The content of this article is for general use and information only. Since each case should be prepared on its own merit and in light of the constant amendments to the Immigration Rules, it is important to note that the information provided must not be relied upon unless Migra & Co has either given written consent or has been officially engaged in relation to a specific immigration matter. As a result, Migra & Co will take no responsibility for any damage, cost or loss resulting from relying on the information contained in this article, blog and website.

We remain open for business and can arrange meetings by phone call or video conferencing to advise and assist with any UK immigration matters.
Click here for further information regarding COVID-19