01 Feb Tier 1 Investor Scheme：how to apply？
What is a Tier 1 (Investor) Visa?
You may consider relocating to the UK as a Tier 1 Investor if you have at least two million pounds (£2,000,000) in cash funds available to invest in active and trading UK companies. The funds must be held by a regulated institution, such as a bank or a venture capital firm, and must be available and under your control – not tied up in securities, shares, or similar arrangements.
The requirements of the Tier 1 (Investor) visa
- You must be 18 or over to apply for this visa;
- You’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland;
- You must have access to at least £2,000,000 in investment funds to apply;
- You are able to evidence that the money belongs to either you or your husband, wife, unmarried or same-sex partner;
- You must have opened an account with a UK regulated bank for the purposes of investing not less than £2 million in the UK;
- A clear tuberculosis (TB) test result letter, if the applicant is from one of the countries on the Home Office’s TB testing list;
- A criminal record certificate from any country you have lived in for more than one year in the past ten years.
Your funds must be:
- held in one or more regulated financial institutions, please note that your money can be in the UK or overseas when you apply;
- disposable and transferable to the UK if held abroad;
- If the cash is not held in pounds sterling, you must convert its value into GBP on the application form.
Please note that you may not use assets or possessions such as property as evidence of your funds for investment. The funds must be under your sole control and cannot be loaned to you.
Source of your funds
If you have not held the funds for 3 consecutive months before the date of the application, you must also provide evidence of the source of the funds, for instance:
- Gift from parents;
- deeds of sale;
- evidence of earning from a business;
- divorce settlement; or
- award or winning- You won the lottery!
Please note that unlike most visa categories, the English language requirement and maintenance do not apply.
However, a prospective Tier 1 (Investor) is required to invest the funds within 90 days from the ‘specified’ date in government bound, share or loan capital.
Contact Our Investment Immigration Experts
For expert advice regarding any aspect of the Tier 1 Investor visa category, or assistance in the planning and preparation of your Tier 1 Investor visa application, please contact our investment immigration team on 0203 384 3075 or contact us here.