Sole Rep. category has now closed to new entrants

Sole Representative


The Sole Representative category allows an overseas company, whose headquarter is and will continue to based outside the UK to set up a branch or a wholly owned subsidiary in the UK. As a sole representative, the applicant must have been recruited and joined the parent company abroad and worked there for at least few months in a senior role. The sole representative must be a full-time senior employee of the parent company and be given responsibility for setting up a limited operation in the United Kingdom. Furthermore, the applicant cannot be a majority shareholder in the overseas company and will be expected to play a key role in the operation of the UK entity such marketing and negotiating contracts with clients, suppliers and third parties with full authority to represent the parent company.


The UKVI would expect to see a detailed business plan as well as evidence of the overseas entity in terms of shareholding, organization structure and financial accounts.


Please note that an entry clearance is mandatory and permission to enter and remain in the UK will normally be granted for an initial period of 36 months.


Settlement in the UK


Towards the end of the initial period of leave, the sole representative can apply for an extension of 2 years. Having spent a continuous period of at five years in the UK, the applicant might become eligible for indefinite leave to remain (settlement). A sole representative can also sponsor his/her spouse and minor children to apply for en entry clearance, leave to remain and settled status in line with the main applicant.


If the overseas company has already established a branch in the UK, the prospective workers relocating from overseas will normally require to be sponsored under the Tier 2 Intra Company Transfer/Work Permit category of the Points Based System.


A representative of an overseas business may also enter the UK under the business visitor visa. However, those intending to spend more than 6 months in the UK or engage in productive work should apply under the sole representative visa category.


Speak to one of our Sole Representative visa consultants now to discuss your tailor made visa solution. Call us on +44 20 3384 3075, email: [email protected] or use contact form below.

Contact Us