Victims of domestic violence do not need to suffer in immigration limbo

A foreign migrant, who has been previously granted leave to enter or remain in the UK as the spouse/civil partner/same-sex partner/ unmarried partner of a British citizen or a person settled in the UK, may be granted settlement as the victim of domestic violence under the Immigration Rules if adequate evidence is provided.

In order for the application to be successful, the applicant must evidence that the relationship was subsisting, when the initial leave to enter or remain was issued and provide original documents from independent sources, such as a hospital doctor, GP or the police confirming the facts of the case.

Please also note that the applicant can be exempt from paying the UKVI fees if destitute. The application bundle, including a current SET (DV) application form, can only be submitted by post since the same day service will not be available for this type of immigration category.

The content of this article is for general use and information only. Since each case should be prepared on its own merit and in light of the constant amendments to the Immigration Rules, it is important to note that the information provided must not be relied upon unless Migra & Co has either given written consent or has been officially engaged in relation to a specific immigration matter. As a result, Migra & Co will take no responsibility for any damage, cost or loss resulting from relying on the information contained in this article, blog and website.