How can you meet the financial threshold as a spouse?

An applicant who wishes to apply for a spouse/ fiancé(e) visa as a partner of a person who is a British citizen or is settled in the UK, must meet the financial requirement under Appendix FM.

The minimum income threshold without dependent children is £18,600.

An additional gross annual income of £3,800 is required for the first child sponsored in addition to the partner and an additional £2,400 for each further child.

If you rely on income from salaried employment of the partner (and/or the applicant if they are in the UK with permission to work), you need to provide:

  • A signed employment contract
  • An employment letter:
  • Payslips covering:

1) a period of 6 months to the date of application if the person has been employed by their current employer for at least 6 months

2) any period of salaried employment in the period of 12 months prior to the date of application if the person has been employed by their current employer for less than 6 months

  • Personal bank statements corresponding to the same period(s) as the payslips, showing that the salary has been paid
  • P60(s)


If you rely on the cash savings, it must be held in cash in a personal bank/savings account in the name of the applicant, their partner or the couple jointly.

If the applicant relies on all the cash savings, the amount of total savings held is £62,500.

The applicant could combine the cash savings and salaried employment income (below £18,600), the calculation formula to be used is:

£16,000 + (£18,600- Actual gross annual salary below £18,600) * 2.5

All the following must be provided:

  •  Personal bank statements for the last 6 months before the application;
  • A declaration by the account holder(s) of the source(s) of the cash savings.


If you rely on the income from self-employment or director or employee of a specified limited company in the UK, the evidence as followed:

  • CT600 for the last full financial year;
  • Registration of Companies House;
  • Annual audited accounts for the last full financial year (If required);
  • Business bank statements covering the same 12-month period as CT600;
  • A current appointment report from Companies House;
  • A certificate of VAT registration and the VAT return for the last full financial year
  • Proof of ownership or lease of business premises;
  • Original proof of registration with HMRC as an employer for the purposes of PAYE and National Insurance;
  • Payslips and P60 (if issued) covering the same period as the CT600;
  • Personal bank statements covering the same 12-month period as the CT600 showing that the salary was paid;
  • Dividend vouchers;


Contact Our Immigration Experts

For expert advice regarding any aspect of the spouse / fiancé(e) visa category or assistance in the planning and preparation of your fiancé(e) visa application, please contact our immigration team on 0203 384 3075 or contact us here.



The content of this article is for general use and information only. Since each case should be prepared on its own merit and in light of the constant amendments to the Immigration Rules, it is important to note that the information provided must not be relied upon unless Migra & Co has either given written consent or has been officially engaged in relation to a specific immigration matter. As a result, Migra & Co will take no responsibility for any damage, cost or loss resulting from relying on the information contained in this article, blog and website.