03 Feb What is the correct English language test for your visa?
Migrants, who wish to relocate to the UK, are usually required to show a satisfactory level of English fluency by taking the appropriate test when applying for a particular visa category. For instance, when applying for an Innovator visa, Start-up visa, Skilled Worker visa, Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) and Student visa, individuals will be assessed in terms of their Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening abilities. However, those who are applying as a Tier 2 (Sportsperson), Representative of an Overseas Business, Partner, Parent, Settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain) and British citizenship will only be assessed in their Speaking and Listening skills.
Approved test providers and approved tests
Individuals can only take a secure English language test (SELT) with one of the following providers:
- IELTS SELT Consortium (UK or overseas)
- LanguageCert (UK or overseas)
- Trinity College London (UK only)
- Pearson (UK and overseas)
- PSI Services (UK) Ltd (overseas only)
Approved SELT centres
Migrants can book the qualified English language test via the following official websites:
- Trinity College London: https://www.trinitycollege.com/qualifications/SELT/UKVI/SELT-centres
- IELTS SELT Consortium: https://www.ielts.org/book-a-test/find-a-test-location
- LanguageCert: https://selt.languagecert.org/locations
- Pearson: https://pearsonpte.com/locations/
- PSI Services (UK) Ltd: https://skillsforenglish.com/
Please make sure the test that you book is the one approved for SELT:
- IELTS SELT Consortium: ‘IELTS for UKVI’;
- LanguageCert: ‘LanguageCert International ESOL SELT’;
- Trinity College London: ‘Secure English Language Tests for UKVI’;
- Pearson: ‘PTE Academic UKVI’ or ‘PTE Home’;
- PSI Services: ‘Skills for English UKVI’.
Applicants should be able to take a test within 28 days of booking.
Prove your identity on the day of the test
Individuals will need to provide evidence of their identity at the test location before they can take the test.
The identity document must:
- Be current and valid;
- Be an original, not a photocopy;
- Include a photo of the migrant;
- Match the information they gave when they booked the test;
- If their identity document has a signature, this will also be checked.
Please note that if you have changed your name, you must provide evidence of your previous name, for instance: Marriage certificate (with a certified English translation if necessary), UK spouse visa (within date) in a passport or a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), Original deed poll change of name document.
Individuals can use the following documents as identification for tests taken in the UK and outside the UK:
- Biometric Residence Permit;
- Biometric Residence Card;
- Convention travel document;
- Stateless persons travel document;
- Travel document issued by the United Nations;
- Travel document issued by the International Red Cross;
- Identity cards of EEA nationals;
- Valid photographic government issued identity cards.
Please be advised that emergency travel documents will NOT be accepted as proof of identity.
After the test
Candidates will receive a SELT Unique Reference Number (URN) after they pass the test. They will find their SELT URN on their test result as:
- ‘UER’ for Trinity College London tests;
- ‘UKVI number’ for IELTS SELT Consortium tests;
- ‘Candidate URN’ for LanguageCert tests;
- ‘SELT URN’ for Pearson tests.
Contact Our Immigration Team
For expert advice regarding any aspect of UK visa application, please contact our team on 0203 384 3075.