06 Aug Will the free mobility ‘labour zone’ come true?
On 26 July 2019, a Downing Street representative mentioned that Canadian Prime Minister, Mr Justin Trudeau pledged to work with the UK to achieve a smooth transition to a UK-Canada free trade agreement as the UK prepares to leave the EU.
It is important to note that back in 2016, Mr Boris Johnson advocated a “free mobility labour zone” between Commonwealth countries. The now new PM, recently renewed his call for a free movement area between Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom post Brexit, as well as calling for the UK government to make CANZUK a ‘top priority’ once the UK leaves the EU.
What is CANZUK?
CANZUK is an acronym for the economic and political union of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom, also known as ‘free mobility labour zone’. It means free movement of citizens, foreign policy cooperation as well as free trade agreements between the four countries.
According to CANZUK own International 2018 poll, 76% of the public supports this in Canada, 68% in the UK, 73% in Australia and 82% in New Zealand.
(Source: CANZUK International)
Applying for a UK Ancestry visa
Under paragraph 186 of the Immigration Rules, a migrant who is seeking leave to enter on the grounds of his/her UK ancestry has to meet the following requirements:
- Be a Commonwealth citizen;
- Must be aged 17 or over;
- Able to provide proof that one of his/her grandparents was born in the UK and any such grandparent is the applicant’s blood grandparent or grandparent by reason of an adoption recognised by the laws of the United Kingdom relating to adoption;
- Able to work and intends to take or seek employment in the United Kingdom;
- Maintain and accommodate and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds;
- Must hold a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity (granted for 5 years).
How long can you stay in the UK under the Ancestry visa category?
A UK Ancestry visa is normally granted for a 5 years period, and it also allows to sponsor family members. The ancestry visa holder can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain once he/she has resided in the UK for a continuous 5 years period. Please note that there must be no recourse to public funds during the period that you stay in the UK.
Contact Our Immigration Team
For expert advice regarding any aspect of the British passport application, please contact our immigration team on 0203 384 3075.